Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Diversity

Diversity
Monday, December 3, 2007

In class we all gave an example of how diversity in the workplace has been a positive or negative experience.

As a Latina and English being my second language, even though I was born here my parents were immigrants to this country and Spanish was the language spoken and still is in my house. As an adult now, I am fluent in Spanish and English, this semester I did my internship at United Way of Metropolitan Dallas. I was the only bilingual employee in my department and I was the only one that did all of the Spanish presentations. The organization is non-profit, growing and constantly wanting to improve their services for all communities and cultures to better serve them.

I learned a lot being here and going out the different workplaces and seeing how each environment is different. I went to places were all the employees were in suit in ties, construction sites, factory sites and went to where people were still working in “the line.” It was an eye-opening experience to see how supervisor’s talked to their employees, spoke of their employees and most importantly communicated with their employees.

Diversity in the workplace I think in this country is more accepting now and especially in Texas because of the large number of immigrants residing in the state.

No comments: